DA GREENS UPCOMING EVENTS
March 6 11:30A @ the ¨East Cottage¨ Resource Room, ECot-2 (so called ¨East Cottage¨, though it is on the west side of campus, a small one story building situated between the Media Learning Center (MLC), Sunken Garden and Flint Center Parking Structure).
Tuesday, March 11: LEAD Global Issues Conference. Three talks by our club:
10:30-11:20 a.m. El Clemente Room “Global Climate Convergence: Earth Day to May Day” De Anza Green Party Students
11:30 a.m-12:20 p.m. Meeting Room 1 “Top Three Lies About Syrian Peace Talks” Dr. Sharat Lin, Research Fellow of the San Jose Peace and Justice Center with De Anza Green Party (Which will actually be Paul Larudee instead of Dr. Lin)
1:30-2:20 p.m. Don Bautista Room “Women Leading the Way: Ecofeminist Heroines” De Anza Green Party
DA Greens Recent Events
- Participants in the demonstration against Leon Panetta speaking @ the Flint Center
Participants in Tent City and the showing of ¨Inequality for All¨
Syria, Iran & U.S.: WMD or fightback against U.S. Empire? by Dr. Sharat Lin** (Research Fellow of the SJ Peace & Justice Center) took place Jan. 30, 1:30 @ De Anza's MCC (Multi Cultural Center).
- MLK Freedom Games Day Jan 18th, Onetta Harris Community Center, eastside Menlo Park
Prospective 2014-2015 Speakers:
- Cynthia McKinney: Green Party's 2008 nominee for President of the U.S. and 12 year U.S. Congresswoman from GA
- Luis Rodriguez: Green Party's nominee for 2014 Governor of California
- Angela Davis: Former Black Power movement leader and American freedom fighter. Now a Professor Emeritus of Consciousness History Feminist Studies at University of California, Santa Cruz
Greening Our Campus
- Students get a NO COST Ecopass!: http://deanza.edu/ecopass/
- OER (Open Education Resources) such as Free/Libre Open Source Software (FLOSS) and Creative Commons textbooks to make education accessible to all. In memorium to Aaron Swartz we are participating with the Student Advocacy Group working at De Anza to institute OER use on campus.
GREEN STUDENT NEWS ITEMS:
- U.S. Green Party Calls for Dropping All Student Debt
urges student protests against skyrocketing tuition costs
- "Is Education a Human Right or a Privilege for the Wealthy?" By Kevin Zeese and Margaret Flowers, Truthout
- "Eliminate tuition, student debt", says Stein as campus protests spread nationally"
Jill Stein for President, March 1, 2012 http://www.jillstein.org/occupy_education
- US Green Party recognizes and welcomes Youth Caucus